August 4, 2009 (JUBA) — The Vice-President of Southern Sudan government (GOSS) today condemned tribal fighting and violence in semi-autonomous region saying it would not tolerate irresponsible killing of civilians.
Dr. Riek Machar was reacting to the killing of 173 civilians and 12 SPLA members in Akobo, from Lou Nuer groups on Sudan and to the murder of more than one hundred people by Ugandan rebels, LRA last week, the statement reported.
“The government of Southern Sudan will not tolerate this careless act that claimed innocence lives of 173 women and children in Akoba County while more innocent people were also killed by foreign culprits in Western Equatoria. The government will do everything in its capacity to apprehend these criminals,” said GOSS Vive President.
Machar further said that the killing in Akobo County is “another evident that justifies the government policy to carry out the most awaited disarmaments of civilian with illegal arms.”
He called upon the UN to air drop humanitarian assistance to affected population in Jonglei because Moreng Village is not accessible during the rainy season either by land or by river.
Yesterday UN Secretary General, Bqan Ki-Moon, condemned the tribal raid and said he had directed the UNMIS to “extend all possible assistance to those affected by this heinous act and work with local authorities to restore calm.”